06 May Birthday Party Checklist
Claire Yezbak Fadden outlines her plan for the perfect party.
One month before
- Set a budget.
- Determine the number of guests you plan to invite.
- Choose a location for the event.
- Decide on a theme.
Three weeks before
- Send out your invitations, be certain to include:
– the day and date;
– the time the party begins and ends;
– where it will take place;
- Decide on the food you will have. If necessary, contact a caterer and/or place your order for any prepared foods that you plan to serve. Order any special bakery items, including the cake.
- Book any entertainment or rental supplies that you might need.
- Purchase the decorations.
- Decide if your family will need special clothing (or costumes). If so, begin to select those outfits.
One week before
- Call guests who have not replied to determine if they will be attending.
- If applicable, confirm any last-minute details with the caterer or party rental or entertainment company.
Two days before
Buy any food, drinks and paper products needed that won’t be provided by the caterer. Double-check your shopping list for last-minute items you might need.
Day of the party
- Pick up rental items and decorations, such as helium balloons.
- Decorate your party site.
- Pick up prepared food items and ice.
- Set out food and drinks shortly before guests are scheduled to arrive.
- Get ready for a good time.
About one week after the party if applicable, send out thank-you notes. Include photos from the party, if available.