30 Mar Recipe: Donna Hay’s Easter Bunny Cookies
Easter time and we’re feeling egg-cited! What better way to celebrate Easter than by whipping up a batch of these adorable Bunny Cookies? Get ready to hop into the kitchen with your little bunnies and let’s get baking!
Easter Bunny Cookies
- 185g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (375g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g white chocolate, melted and cooled
- desiccated coconut for sprinkling
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the flour, egg and egg yolk and process until a smooth dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it in half. Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Roll each piece out between sheets of non-stick baking paper until 5mm thick. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Remove the top sheets of baking paper from the dough. Using various size bunny cookie cutters, cut shapes from the dough, re-rolling and refrigerate as necessary. Place the cookies on lightly greased baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 12–14 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on trays for 10 minutes before transferring onto wire racks to cool.
- To make the bunny tails, use a teaspoon, and drop small rounds of chocolate on each bunny. Allow to set slightly, then sprinkle with coconut. Allow to set completely before serving.
Image: Con Poulos