10 Sep 20+ virtual home and holiday activities, ideas and tips for parents
During these days when we are reluctant to go out as much as we did or we are locked down at home, its important for everyone’s mental health to keep in contact with each other. Have you enjoyed a virtual drinks party? Or a virtual bedtime story to a child? Kids need to keep in contact with friends as school is their social time and some are not enjoying that opportunity.
At Home Activities and Ideas
- Try a drawing a day at home to encourage budding artists or visit Art Galleries and other great places of the World.
- Run out of age-appropiate movies to watch check out this listing
- Board Games are popular in lockdown or try some new ones for the holidays (eg. Pandemic)
- Having trouble keeping the kids busy with school holidays on the horizon? Try Bloomsbury Free Kids Activity sheets or here for ideas
- Start a dress up box with old clothes and other things to develop kids imaginary play.
- Not everyone can get out and about at the moment so perhaps there are some fun local things you can do?
- How about enjoying some craft activities we have some great ideas here
- Make a simple car play mat for hours of fun (inside or out)
- Most schools offer an online library during lock down – does yours? Books are a terrific way for kids to broaden their knowledge from home.
- Reading can help with anxiety and lockdowns. Here some great books suggested by Better Reading Australia’s Top 50 Favourite Kids books
Get out and about
Looking for things to entertain the family these school holidays as we all struggle with the lockdown blues?
- How about 18 things to do outdoors? Or try Active for life Physical Activities for kids
- how about inspiring a love of gardening in the kids? There are local community gardens for those who don’t have a garden or may you have a neighbour who would like a little garden help?
- Explore the neighbourhood with these activities
Museums On Line
- Most Museums now have lots of on-line activities and talks for families and you can be anywhere in the world to visit virtually! – Sea Museum, Australian Museum, Questacon, Queensland Museum, Museum of WA
Need Help of a different kind we have reprised some of our COVID related articles?
- Tips for parents of kids with Austism
- Did you know Boredom is actually good for kids?
- Lockdown cabin fever, Anxiety, domestic violence are other topics we have covered.