27 Apr 26 Laundry hacks to make your life less of a hassle!
Posted at 06:30h in Inspire
These solutions are for common laundry problems, writes Win Koda and will make laundry less of a hassle!
- Wash everything in cold water except towels and whites to avoid setting stains and save on energy costs.
- Freshen up wrinkled clothes by throwing them into the dryer with a dryer sheet and an ice cube.
- Use wash bags to save time and keep socks together while also avoiding the need for hand-washing bras.
- Remove grease stains by rubbing the spot with chalk or baby powder, then leave overnight to soak up the grease.
- Speed up a load’s drying time by tossing a clean towel in the washing machine and putting it on the spin cycle before hanging out.
- Use a ball of aluminium foil as a stand-in for dryer sheets and reuse it later.
- Remove unsightly yellow pit stains with a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda or hot water mixed with table salt.
- Always wash new red items and denim separately the first time to avoid dye transfer.
- Remove blood stains by wetting the patch and sprinkling with an unseasoned meat tenderiser before rinsing and laundering as usual.
- Remove lipstick stains by pre-treating with white bread and dabbing repeatedly.
- Apply shaving cream to stubborn food stains, let it settle in, and blot it away with a clean cloth.
- Preserve the colour and eliminate smells from jeans by tossing them in the freezer.
- Brighten your clothes by adding a pinch of salt to your laundry.
- Remove dirt, mud, and debris from suede by gently running a nail file over it.
- Use multiple clothes hampers to divide clothes into lights and darks, or kids and parents, to save time sorting.
- Use a colander to help rinse and properly drain smalls while saving elbow grease.
- Use a salad spinner to dry delicate items without exposing them to the heat of the dryer.
- Use your machine’s speedy ‘quick wash’ setting unless items are seriously stained or soiled.
- Remove the build-up on the bottom of your iron by sprinkling salt onto a paper towel and running the iron over it on high heat.
- Prevent colours from bleeding by adding a cup of distilled white vinegar to the wash.
- Clean your washing machine monthly by mixing a 1/2 cup of baking soda with a 1/2 cup of water and pouring it into the detergent container, then pouring two cups of distilled white vinegar into the machine and running it using the hottest cycle.
- Keep the door of your washing machine open when not in use to discourage the growth of mould and mildew.
- Never iron over buttons; cover buttons with a teaspoon and iron around them.
- Place a layer of aluminium foil underneath your ironing board cover (shiny side up) to speed up ironing time.
- Speed up the machine-dry process by adding a clean, dry towel to the mix.
- Use an ice cube to “iron” wrinkled clothes in the dryer.