20 Jul Donna Hay’s Roasted cauliflower curry with chickpeas and cashews
We love Donna’s Hay’s meals that kids can help with during the school holidays. This vegetarian cauliflower curry is a little harder but well worth trying!
- 3 baby cauliflowers (375g)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (75g) raw cashews
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 400g can chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed and drained
- 200g green and yellow beans, trimmed and halved
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- Natural greek-style (thick) yoghurt, to serve
- 1 cup (150g) raw cashews
- ½ cup (125ml) boiling water
- 6cm-piece ginger (50g), chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Place the cauliflower, garam masala and 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large bowl and toss to coat. Place on a large oven tray and cook for 20 minutes or until tender and lightly charred. Add the cashews and cook for a further 3 minutes or until golden.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, make the curry paste. Place the cashews and boiling water in a small bowl and set aside for 5minutes to soak.
- Place the ginger, garlic, garam masala, turmeric, fennel, tomato paste and salt in a small food processor and process until finely chopped. Drain the cashews, add to the processor and process until smooth.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the water and bring to a simmer. Add the chickpeas and beans and cook for 4–6 minutes or until tender. Roughly chop the roasted cashews. Add the cauliflower and cashews to the curry and serve with spinach leaves and yoghurt. Serves 4
Basics to Brilliance Kids (revised edition) from Donna Hay online, $45, is an all-new food adventure taking simple recipes that kids adore and transforming them with Donna’s signature healthy makeover into brilliant meals for the whole family. Over 200 pages of step-by-step recipes designed to transform everyday activities into healthy, fun-filled adventures.
Main Image: William Meppem
Other winter warmers from Donna Hay: