30 Mar Holiday Tips for families
School holidays are a much-awaited break from the routine of classes, homework, and schoolwork.
It’s a time for kids to relax, have fun and rejuvenate their minds and bodies. However, with the advent of technology and digital devices, children spend much time in front of screens during their holidays. Therefore, encouraging them to disconnect and engage in analogue activities is essential to balance rest and fun. Here are some tips for school holidays that include rest and some fun activities, with the inclusion of some academic activities should they love the challenge:
- Make a schedule: It’s essential to plan the holidays and create a schedule that includes a mix of rest and fun activities. Include activities like reading books, painting, drawing, writing, cooking, and outdoor sports.
- Disconnect from screens: Encourage your child to take a break from digital devices during the holidays. Limit screen time to a few hours a day and encourage them to engage in activities like reading, playing, or spending time with family and friends.
- Get outdoors: Take advantage of the good weather and get outside. Go for walks, bike rides, picnics, or play sports. It’s a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
- Be creative: Encourage your child’s creativity by engaging them in arts and crafts. Activities like painting, drawing, and making crafts can be therapeutic and help them express themselves.
- Spend time with family and friends: Holidays are an excellent time to catch up with family and friends. Plan a get-together or a day out with family and friends.
- Read books or do a devotion: Reading is an excellent way to relax and unwind. Encourage your child to read books during the holidays. They can choose a book of their choice, and it’s a great way to improve their vocabulary and enhance their knowledge.
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough rest during the holidays is essential. Encourage your child to maintain a regular sleep routine, which will help them relax and recharge.
- Check out the local community events, there are many to choose from, and you can see what is available by following these links at Get Out With Kids.
School holidays are an excellent time for children and families to unwind, have fun, and engage in activities they enjoy. Children will continue to learn through all avenues but more so when their minds and bodies are rested, healthy and have connections with family.
Mrs Kylie Clark, Principal, Sunrise Christian School, Fullarton, SA