17 Aug Donna Hay’s Silky Parmesan Pasta with crispy crumb
Love pasta? Then you’ll love this easy change to a simple family pasta dish from Donna Hay. The crispy crumb and chilli flakes can be simply altered to suit your family’s dietary needs.
- 400g dried spaghetti
- 1 cup (250ml) pure cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 cups (100g) wild leaf rocket (arugula), chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 cups (140g) fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- To make the crispy crumb, preheat the oven to 180°c (350°f). Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, oil and chilli flakes. Place on the prepared tray and bake for 5–8 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk the cream, yolk and parmesan together in a bowl to combine.
- Return the pan over low heat. Add the parmesan cream mixture and cook for 2 minutes, stirring gently with a spatula, until silky and slightly thickened but not scrambled. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta and cook for 1–2 minutes, stirring, until it is coated in the sauce and heated through. Stir through the rocket and rind.
- Divide the pasta between serving bowls and sprinkle with the crispy crumb, the extra rocket and parmesan. Serves 4
If you need some help with this recipe, see Donna’s YouTube demo
Pre-order Donna’s new book, Even More Basic to Brilliance. RRP$55.00.
It’s due out in October 2023 and will be available in all good bookstores online.
Photography: Chris Court
Other great family favourites from Donna Hay: