13 Apr Hummingbird Loaf Cake
This Hummingbird Loaf cake from Donna Hay is one of our favourite after-school-snacks! It makes a family sized loaf for all to enjoy.
- 2 cups (300g) self raising (self-rising) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1½ cups (260g) brown sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅔ cup (160ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (480g) grated carrot
- ⅔ cup (70g) walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup (120g) canned crushed pineapple, drained
- butter, to serve (optional)
- preheat oven to 180°c (350°f). place the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and sugar in a large bowl and mix to combine. add the egg, oil, vanilla, carrot, walnuts and pineapple and mix to combine.
- pour into a 10cm x 21cm (2-litre-capacity) lightly greased loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. slice and spread with butter to serve. serves 8–10.
Look for Basics To Brilliance Kids by Donna Hay, $45.00 and is available in stores nationally.
This Hummingbird Loaf can be found here